Naomi Shah is the Founder and CEO of Meet Cute, a venture-backed media company that has produced over 300 original light-hearted romantic comedies in podcast form. The company celebrates human connection and the full spectrum of love with a core mission -- having every person feel like they are reflected in Meet Cute stories. Since inception (Feb 2020), the podcast already has over 2 million listens across over 150 countries and has been featured in the top 10 of Fiction on Apple Podcasts and Spotify.
Before starting Meet Cute, Naomi was a member of the investment team at Union Square Ventures, a technology venture capital firm in New York, where she spent most of her time talking to companies in the consumer and well-being space. Prior to that, she was a macro equities trader at Goldman Sachs and studied Mechanical Engineering (with a minor in Human Biology) at Stanford University.
Some of the Topics Covered by Naomi Shah in this Episode
- What Meet Cute is
- Deciding to start a VC backed startup after working at Union Square Ventures
- The early Meet Cute team
- Why their concept is unique and pushing past early noes
- Getting traction to validate their format
- Changing listening behavior with scripted content in audio
- Meet Cute's business model
- The creation process at Meet Cute
- Distribution and discoverability
- Strategy around changing formats
- Naomi's experience fundraising for Meet Cute and what was helpful during the process
- The importance of developing a relationship with your investors
- How Naomi built out the team for Meet Cute and COVID's impact
- Their unique approach to sourcing talent and maintaining a large pool of creative contributors
- Navigating building a startup as a first-time, solo founder during a global pandemic
Subscribe to the Just Go Grind Podcast
Want to Join a Supportive Community of Ambitious Founders?
Learn more about the Just Go Grind Founder Community, a group of more than 90 founders learning and building together each week 👇